Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Christmas Break

This past Christmas break, I was fortunate enough to spend time in the two non-contiguous states of Alaska and Hawaii!  Talk about a difference in environment!  Alaska has always been my home and I wanted to have a white Christmas as well as an opportunity to see my boys and do a little skiing.  The 12 days I spent up north couldn't have been more perfect!  The snow and skiing were great, I got to spend time with my boys and other friends and family.  Wintertime in Alaska is by far my favorite season because the landscapes look absolutely stunning with a pristine layer of fresh snow.  

What better way to enjoy the snow than backcountry skiing?  With two of my best friends, Justin and Paul, we all set out on snowmachines out into the wilderness of Turnagain Pass in search of cliffs, jumps and fresh powder.  There's nothing that is more fun than spending the day with your best friends while enjoying Mother Nature and all the God has created. Regardless of Justin's bloody lip and nose after a somewhat failed backflip, the day was nothing short of epic.  

As Christmas came and passed, I was blessed to have the opportunity to head for warmer climes for the last two weeks of break. The day we left Anchorage, the temperature hovered around -5 degrees.  For the next two weeks, it was never warmer than 0 and temperatures ranged anywhere from -1 to -26 degrees.  Talk about a perfect time to leave AK!!  The next two weeks were spent in paradise with family and friends lounging by the beach, touching whales and snorkeling with Crush the sea turtle across the street from the house.  ;)  

Towards the end of the trip, I had the opportunity to shoot a wedding on Maui. The couple, Tim and Britni Brown, were old acquaintances from my high school.  I was second shooter with my good friend Josh Newton and we could not have asked for a better day for the ceremony!  The sun was shining, there was not a cloud in sight and the beach was perfect. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to travel to such gorgeous destinations and spend time with amazing people!  

No comments: